From collection Carver Collection
Bark "Lucy A. Nickels" of New York J.B. Edwards commander off Leghorn
Oil painting of bark LUCY A. NICKELS at Leghorn (Livorno), Italy made by Luigi Renault in 1869.
Image of LUCY A. NICKELS, a bark built in Searsport, ME in 1855 by master builder Marshall Dutch. Visible in the image is the LUCY A. NICKELS at sea with the Livorno mountains, other vessels, and clouds in the background along with the Finale dei Pisani, the tall cylindrical lighthouse guiding ships into port. The Outer Harbor Curvilinea Mole breakwater is visible in the foreground along with the yellow, octagonal Diga Curvilinea. The text below the painting reads: "Bark "Lucy A. Nickels" of New York J.B. Edwards commander off Leghorn." Renault's signature is visible in the lower left corner of the painting. Luigi P. Renault (1845-1910) was an Italian marine painter.
The LUCY A. NICKELS, coming in at 523 tons, was built in Searsport, 1855 by master builder Marshall Dutch for Captain David Nickles at the Merithew shipyard. Marshall Dutch (1811-1874) was a prolific master builder in Searsport, second only to John Carver in the number of vessels built. His origins are a mystery, some say he came from Rotterdam, The Netherlands, and he was known as Dutchie. Not mysterious are the records that credit him with 22 vessels built between 1848 and 1872: 10 barks, seven brigs, three schooners, and two ships. His son Josiah followed him into the shipbuilding profession and two of his daughters married Searsport sea captains. He built the bark LUCY A. NICKELS in 1855, the same year he built the brig B.K. EATON. He helped build his namesake brig at the McGilvery Shipyard in 1849.
Leghorn is the Anglicized name of Livorno, Italy. Livorno, located on the western coast of Tuscany on the Mediterranean, served as a free port where trade goods were imported and exported until 1868. Its chief exports at the time of this painting were oil, wine, straw hats, marble, coral, candied fruit, hides, boracic acid, hemp, mercury, rags, soap, wax, and eggs. It imported iron, coal, coke, cotton, wool, wheat, coffee, hides, jute, mineral oil, sulphates of coppers and iron, tobacco, carbonate of soda, and cured fish. Penobscot Bay ships transshipped these trade goods.
Details
Image of LUCY A. NICKELS, a bark built in Searsport, ME in 1855 by master builder Marshall Dutch. Visible in the image is the LUCY A. NICKELS at sea with the Livorno mountains, other vessels, and clouds in the background along with the Finale dei Pisani, the tall cylindrical lighthouse guiding ships into port. The Outer Harbor Curvilinea Mole breakwater is visible in the foreground along with the yellow, octagonal Diga Curvilinea. The text below the painting reads: "Bark "Lucy A. Nickels" of New York J.B. Edwards commander off Leghorn." Renault's signature is visible in the lower left corner of the painting. Luigi P. Renault (1845-1910) was an Italian marine painter.
The LUCY A. NICKELS, coming in at 523 tons, was built in Searsport, 1855 by master builder Marshall Dutch for Captain David Nickles at the Merithew shipyard. Marshall Dutch (1811-1874) was a prolific master builder in Searsport, second only to John Carver in the number of vessels built. His origins are a mystery, some say he came from Rotterdam, The Netherlands, and he was known as Dutchie. Not mysterious are the records that credit him with 22 vessels built between 1848 and 1872: 10 barks, seven brigs, three schooners, and two ships. His son Josiah followed him into the shipbuilding profession and two of his daughters married Searsport sea captains. He built the bark LUCY A. NICKELS in 1855, the same year he built the brig B.K. EATON. He helped build his namesake brig at the McGilvery Shipyard in 1849.
Leghorn is the Anglicized name of Livorno, Italy. Livorno, located on the western coast of Tuscany on the Mediterranean, served as a free port where trade goods were imported and exported until 1868. Its chief exports at the time of this painting were oil, wine, straw hats, marble, coral, candied fruit, hides, boracic acid, hemp, mercury, rags, soap, wax, and eggs. It imported iron, coal, coke, cotton, wool, wheat, coffee, hides, jute, mineral oil, sulphates of coppers and iron, tobacco, carbonate of soda, and cured fish. Penobscot Bay ships transshipped these trade goods.