From collection Fine Art Collection
"Bark 'Augustine Kobbe' of Searsport entering Leghorn Jany 22 1880" Entering Leghorn, January 22, 1880
19" x 27 1/2" oil painting of bark AUGUSTINE KOBBE made by Luigi Renault in 1880. This port painting depicts the136' bark AUGUSTINE KOBBE-- built by George A. Carver in 1866 in Searsport, Maine -- entering Leghorn, also known as Livorno, Italy in 1880. Other vessels and clouds visible in the background. Flags are flying atop the masts and at the stern of the vessel. Landmarks in the background include the Livorno Mountains, the Fanale dei Pisani, the tall cylindrical lighthouse guiding ships into port, and the Outer Harbor Curvilinea Mole (breakwater in foreground) with a fortification and the yellow octagonal Diga Curvilinea lighthouse, protected the ships from the open sea. Below the painting it reads: "Bark Augustine Kobbe entering Leghorn Jany 22 1880."
The bark had a short career in the whaling industry and was sold to foreign interests in 1901. During its brief career, it was captained by Searsport sea captain Phineas P. Carver (1829-1893) on a voyage in 1866 and H.S. Oliver on a voyage in 1901.
Leghorn is the Anglicized name of Livorno, Italy. Livorno, located on the western coast of Tuscany on the Mediterranean, served as a free port where trade goods were imported and exported until 1868, when it became a part of the Kingdom of Italy. Its chief exports at the time of this painting were oil, wine, straw hats, marble, coral, candied fruit, hides, boracic acid, hemp, mercury, rags, soap, wax, and eggs. It imported iron, coal, coke, cotton, wool, wheat, coffee, hides, jute, mineral oil, sulphates of coppers and iron, tobacco, carbonate of soda, and cured fish. Penobscot Bay ships transshipped these trade goods.
Luigi P. Renault (1845-1910) was an Italian marine painter.
George Albert Carver (1836-1908) followed in his father's footsteps, inheriting the Carver Yard. Between 1861 and 1876, George built three barks, two brigs, one schooner, and three ships, before going to sea as a captain and eventually moving to New York City to open a ship chandlery.
Details
The bark had a short career in the whaling industry and was sold to foreign interests in 1901. During its brief career, it was captained by Searsport sea captain Phineas P. Carver (1829-1893) on a voyage in 1866 and H.S. Oliver on a voyage in 1901.
Leghorn is the Anglicized name of Livorno, Italy. Livorno, located on the western coast of Tuscany on the Mediterranean, served as a free port where trade goods were imported and exported until 1868, when it became a part of the Kingdom of Italy. Its chief exports at the time of this painting were oil, wine, straw hats, marble, coral, candied fruit, hides, boracic acid, hemp, mercury, rags, soap, wax, and eggs. It imported iron, coal, coke, cotton, wool, wheat, coffee, hides, jute, mineral oil, sulphates of coppers and iron, tobacco, carbonate of soda, and cured fish. Penobscot Bay ships transshipped these trade goods.
Luigi P. Renault (1845-1910) was an Italian marine painter.
George Albert Carver (1836-1908) followed in his father's footsteps, inheriting the Carver Yard. Between 1861 and 1876, George built three barks, two brigs, one schooner, and three ships, before going to sea as a captain and eventually moving to New York City to open a ship chandlery.